Friday 3 February 2012

the drop-off and pick-up routine (part 1)

my mother usually took me to school. my mother usually picked me up. she usually took the car and did not leave the driver's seat. i now know why. she wanted to avoid the school gate congregational meeting.

but i am not as anti-social as my dear mumsy. in september i was keen. i was ready. i left my sarcastic sour self at home. i wanted to meet other parents really i did. but what did i find? a reinactment of the bad old school days.  there were cliques - the polish, the hijab wearers, the chinese crew, the mockney cockneys, the i've got a kid in this school and have friends already thanks crew, the our kids are bestest mates you can't join in crew and the i can't see you and i am going to walk and talk as if you are not standing right in front of me bitch crew.

so recently i have adopted a tactic of being just in time. and it works, usually. my child is usually not the last to be collected and neither is he the only one rushing to get in line or squeeze through the door in the morning. so just in time works pretty well. because let's face it, what's the alternative? beg friend? i point blank refuse. i have decided to be selective and talk and smile only to those who return the gesture. i am only going to make an effort with people who are nice you know just nice. no hidden agenda good vibe nice. the one love approach did not work and it was stupid anyway to think that popping out a kid makes a person warm and friendly because let's face it there are some horrible cunts out there reproducing aren't there?

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahaha! You have every crew covered! Took 3 years for some to even open their mouths and say hello. I was persistent for a while, then just when I gave up I got my first hello.

    Girl you are not alone.

    I've stood at the same bus stop as someone who's child is in my son's class, and you know when you try to make eye contact to say hi? She looked right through me. I just thought "grow up you child!"

    ReplyDelete